8 November 2015

Recently I had the opportunity to talk to Nathan of NathPlays, the host of (honestly) my favourite Let's Play channel. He brings an intelligent sense of humor to his playthroughs which makes his videos really engaging. Like Kelly, he is also taking part in the Extra Life marathon this year with Team Tomb Raider Community.

As part of the Extra Life article I wrote, I contacted three members of Team Tomb Raider Community and asked if I could interview them about their plans for this year, motivations and challenges. The article is live now, but you can read Nathan's full interview below:


Tell us about yourself!


Hello, my name is Nathan Hoar. I'm most formerly known as NathPlays on most social sites I use. I'm a British video gamer and have been ever since my parents kindly gave a good ol' Playstation back in 1997. I've started a YouTube channel under the name NathPlays and have become a Let's Player. If you're unfamiliar with let's playing it's basically just someone commentating while playing any video game. It's something I really do enjoy doing and I see it as a hobby of mine when I have nothing to do in my boring life.

You’re no stranger to Let’s Plays; you took part in last year’s Extra Life livestream and you regularly post playthroughs on your YouTube channel. What have you learnt through doing these and does live streaming feel different compared to filming YouTube episodes?


What I've learnt from doing playthroughs on YouTube and livestreaming is that you can meet so many lovely people for doing what you love. That truly is an amazing feeling and I end up meeting more and more lovely people in my life and I cannot be thankful enough for it. Live streaming does feel different to YouTube only because you know you're not going to edit it later on. It's a much more easier process and honestly I feel more relaxed when doing streams personally.


What motivates you to take part in the event?


Taking part in Extra Life, I can't think of something greater. Doing what you love for a great cause to benefit children's medical network hospitals, it really is a wonderful event to take part off. It's also lovely to see everyone streaming and donating for children in need of our help.



What’s the biggest challenge with arranging your livestream?


 I'm a part of the Team Tomb Raider Community group which is hosted by the lovely Stellalune. So there really isn't a whole lot of challenges as far as I can say. Setting up a live stream is a bit difficult mostly because of my internet is terrible but anyway moving on.


What’s the weirdest thing you’ve experienced while running the livestreams? 


The weirdest thing would be the constant haters just spamming the chat for no reason and saying cruel things to you. The weird part about it, is that I just have to pretend they don't exist. I really don't bother with people who just say mean things without giving any context whatsoever. I really hate to ban people but I try to stay focused and keep talking to the people who are lovely and they're so many lovely people always when you're streaming.



What tips would you give to someone taking part in it for the first time?


The most important tip would be to be yourself and only do it, if you want to. Don't just join in because all the cool kids are doing it, do it for yourself only and you will have a lot of fun with streaming. It's no easy task to stream and talk in front of strangers but what is easy nowadays? Keep doing it and if you enjoy it, you'll get better and better at it each time. I'm still learning with streaming myself and I meet more and more new people every time I stream.



Any teasers you can give about what you’re planning for this year’s event?


Previous Extra Life events I've streamed Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask and Tomb Raider: Chronicles, games that are well known in the Tomb Raider Community. I kinda want to spice things up this year and play any level made by the wonderful community itself. ;)

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment