29 October 2015

Lots of Tomb Raider fans run sites for different reasons, for me I love having the ability to write about the games I'm passionate about and the fan projects which I think are absolutely incredible. This topic has been something that I've been looking forward to focusing on, because it features one of my favourite Lara Croft cosplayers, Fuinur Croft.

If you've been an active member of any cosplay sites in the community, or a regular visitor to the official TR blog, chances are that you've already encountered quite a bit of Fuinur's work. Her cosplay has been spotlighted by Crystal Dynamics as part of their Croft Couture series, and she was featured cosplayer on Tomb Raider Cosplay. Her detailed outfits and her ability to perfectly portray Lara immediately shines through in her photos.

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Fuinur about her experiences cosplaying, what inspired her to get into the hobby in the first place and her personal tips. View the interview below. A huge thank you to Fuinur for the answers.

You can also follow Fuinur's adventures on Twitter, Facebook, deviantArt, Tumblr, YouTube and on her website.

Tomb Raider (2013) Photoshoot / 2015 / Photography by Andrea Simonetti

Tell us a little about yourself! 


I'm Fuinur, I was born in 1992 in Rome and I'm a fashion student! I've been a cosplayer since 2008 and my first character was Nana Osaki from the manga, Nana. I started to cosplaying Lara Croft in 2011/12. In addition to cosplay, my others hobbies are drawing, making clothes and jewels and photography. My favourite books are Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. My favourite writers are: JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe. I love rock and metal music!


What inspired you to cosplay as Lara Croft?


I played Tomb Raider for the first time in 1997, thanks to my father and his friend who gave to me, Tomb Raider II, my favourite one. My love for Lara and TR is never ending, and when I was 8/9 years old, I loved to dress up like Lara and try to cosplay her. In 2011 I started to do Lara Croft cosplays. My first costume was Tomb Raider Legend: Biker. I love her because she's smart, strong and beautiful... It's like a dream come true! I want to cosplay all the Lara's costumes from every game, it's hard but I want to try!

Tomb Raider Legend Photoshoot / 2011 / Photography by Massimiliano Pellegrini

What tips would you give someone who wants to cosplay the character?


For staters, you must know the character and the games, and do it with passion! (And not for fashion like a lot of girls).


Looking back at when you started cosplaying, what challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?


People for starters. A lot of people asked me "Why do you cosplay Lara Croft? It's so stupid!" or something like that. For me, being my hero is a big success, and I want to say to everyone has said that to stop and "look at me now, I'm happy!". Cosplaying is not easy, when you find friends and people that want you to stop, or think that cosplaying is stupid. For me it's a beautiful hobby and work and I won't stop just because sometimes we can have little problems. Do what you love, always! And believe in yourself!

Rise of the Tomb Raider Photoshoot / 2015 / Photography by Mauro Saranga


What's the best thing about cosplaying?


Being who you want to be!


What's the strangest thing about cosplaying?


Strangest thing? Being another person for a few of hours, maybe. When you're cosplaying you're not yourself, not totally. You can be anyone you like and do things that your characters does!

Tomb Raider (Classics) / 2014 / Photography by Davide Fotoesogni

What is your favourite costume and why?


My favourite costume is the Classic Lara from Tomb Raider 1-5, because that costume for me means Lara. I grew up with her, and her blue-green vest and dual pistol, they means a lot for me. Also I love the Reborn and the newest Rise of the Tomb Raider costume; I had a lot of fun to make it. It's was hard but it gave to me a lot of satisfaction!


Why do you cosplay?


I'm a cosplayer because, for me, sometimes it's beautiful be your favourite character. It's not a full-time hobby, and you are still yourself, but I love to go to conventions dressed up as Lara because I can feel like her for a few of hours. And it's beautiful when people appreciate what you do and love the costume.




Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment