22 January 2011

21st January 2010

Over the years we've had Larazade, albums, trading cards, novels and a series of comics all promoting Tomb Raider. Lara has appeared on more promotional material than we can actually ever fully collect, and we've loved it. So the question is what will the next era of the series bring? ...Ok we don't know for certain, but what we do know is that it's going to be pretty exciting. So the other day I was thinking what kind of promotions can the series do and what type of merchandise might be available. Now I must warn you, I haven't done a course in finance or marketing or anything like this, it's more going to be a list of what I find awesome.



Trailer
So first one that I want to mention is something that I talked about on the Eidos forum for Tomb Raider Underworld...3D Trailer!Now I'm not a fan of 3D shows or movies, but I did find a Eidos related video on YouTube a few months back which blew my mind. For those who have played Batman: Arkham Asylum you will know this part and for those who have not... Seriously go buy it, it's awesome. The scene is where Batman walks down a really long corridor and it transforms. The video isn't really an official trailer, and it's merely just someone playing with the 3D option on YouTube but it looks so cool. Just imagine seeing the scene where the guy chases Lara with a knife that we have seen in the screenshots or when she falls onto the bones, that would look so epic in 3D!



Collectible Merchandise
I'm also thinking perhaps some t-shirts with Lara Croft kicking some major ass. Figurines are a definite yes, but they need to be really high quality but won't cost as much as the Slideshow collectables and Tonner ones. And posters! Preferably with the Game Informer image, I want Lara's eyes to appear to creepily follow the people around the room no matter where you go.

Lara Statues
I'm also thinking about a life sized Lara Croft model mainly because the new Lara is so beautiful and awesome. The last time there was full model was for Tomb Raider Legend, and as epic as though she was, it's a brand new Croft now! Plus the fact that it's incredibly hard to find one that isn't a)broken or b) Pick up only and is being sold too far away.

TRADING CARDS!
I got a box of the old Tomb Raider trading cards called “Into the Caves Quest Deck” and I've absolutely fallen in love with these things. For those who don't know it's a little box and there's a set of cards, plus a booster pack, a small figure of Lara and some material to play a game. They are actually so awesome that I have been searching online constantly for more packs for the past month. I would absolutely love to have a similar Tomb Raider 9 set.

Comics
About two or three years back I was at Collectormania which is a science fiction convention, and that’s where I first picked up my first Tomb Raider comic called Chasing Shangri-la. The comics were made by Top Cow, and has still got to be my favourite comic series ever! The art was beautiful, there were some really awesome stories (the end of Chasing Shangri-La actually made me cry, which doesn't actually happen often to me and books/comics) and they featured Lara Croft...You can't really get any better. I really hope that they begin talks with Top Cow again...And that they also give away posters as a new series celebration.

What do you want to see? Post in the comments below if you have something in mind.

There's an awesome new game coming out with looks of really cool merchandise coming. We will just have to wait and see. I'll keep you all up to date about what's coming out because I'm just as excited as you are!

Have a great weekend!
Categories:

3 comments:

  1. I want Lara pants!
    By the way, I'm not sure that anybody outside TRF will know which TR game "TR9" refers to; it's not what CD calls it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely with you regarding the comics. I would love to see brand new books based on young Lara's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete